Thursday, July 28, 2011

Happy Pioneer Day!

Pioneer Day was July 24th.  In Utah it's about the biggest holiday ever, celebrating the trek of the mormons cross country back in 1847.  You can read more about it here if you'd like.  The pioneer's trek is quite the human story.  However, most of my colleagues are not mormon, so we celebrated Pie 'n Beer Day last Friday with pizza and root beer in the office.  My sister and family were in town on their way to Yellowstone, along with my folks on their way back to Phoenix from a long trip.  My favorite part of the holiday - along with July 4th, fireworks are legal!


Still works Jason, but not nearly as much fun without you...

A little pre-show fun
I've got them all set up just like my Grandpa Bakker used to do.
Getting ready the night before.  I think I look like my uncle Bill in this picture.
Tommy LOVES fireworks.  He claps his hands after the really loud ones go off.  I couldn't be happier!
My nephew Josh enjoyed the sparklers.
So pretty.  We started a little early so the kids weren't up too late.
One of my favorites - burning steel wool swung on a long string.  The picture doesn't do it justice.  It's actually quite beautiful.

Tommy's everything but walking right now - pushing his stroller, boxes, and furniture around, standing, walking along things he can steady himself on, and climbing up stairs, ladders, stools, baricades, etc.  I think by the time he's actually walking he'll be able to run too...
This was Granda Pat's (and Grandma's) birthday gift for Tommy.  He spends more time pushing it around the house than riding, but he does drive too.  So fun!
Hangin' with Grandma

The kiddie pool is a very popular summer activity for Tom.

Thanks to my dad I have some good pictures from last weekend!  However, that means there are no photos of him but for reflections in the background...

No comments:

Followers