Sunday, November 29, 2009

Let's take a moment to talk about shop safety...

Let's take a moment to talk about shop safety - never let your mother, mother-in-law or wives see the stuff you do with whirling discs of sharpened high-carbon steel.  Oh, and you should probably wear safety glasses and ear protection, read, understand, and follow the instructions for all your shop tools, and stuff.  I made the carcasses for a built-in bookcase and dresser drawers on Saturday with some help from my father-in-law Pat.  This pile of ply-wood is about to turn into sawdust.  Note my awesome dust collector, doesn't everyone think that Byron Black and Jason Addink really need one of these too?  I sure do!



I suck at making straight, perfect cuts with a circular saw, so I employ a simple jig that good-old Norm showed me one Saturday.

And, viola!  Just like the Old Yankee Workshop, you have a sweet bookshelf and dresser carcass. 



I actually made measured drawings for this project (which are available for $29.95), and highly recommend using them.  I was pleased with how accurate my Hitachi cabinet saw is, and everything turned out terrific!  I must admit though, even with measured drawings, lots of experience, and Pat's supervision, I still made a mistake or two...  Chatting with Pat, a question struck me - I wonder if Jesus ever had to measure twice?

No comments:

Followers