Monday, December 14, 2009

What was I thinking?

I was reminding Katie last night at 830pm that there would be a couple of contractors coming over tomorrow for windows and drywall. I was reviewing the fine points of the work I expected done when she replied "you're going to be here for all this, right?".  I figured it wouldn't be a big deal for her to open the door and show these guys what to do, but it was... What was I thinking?  I'm really glad I was here because a few things came up during the window install that were outside the original scope of the project, that I was able to address myself. Also, my drywaller flaked out so I was able to bring over 5 contractors to bid today. The last one will be here within the hour, and most can start first thing in the morning. I'm also very grateful that my boss is so understanding - thanks Karen!


That's Sean the window-guy.  He's the son of a dairy farmer.  Having grown up with dairy farm kids, I might have guessed that - reminded me a lot of the VanHoffwagen clan.


Waiting to be installed.


Sonny is hiding inside.  He's a beef cattle farmer with about 50 head - enough to cover the cost of the land and equipment, but not enough to live on - hence the window work.  He was a really funny guy.


Middle of the day.  Aluminum recycles at $.53 per pound, which is where all my old window frames are heading.  We really need Obama to start regulating aluminum bats or something to drive the price like he did with brass, lead, and copper.




It's too dark out right now for a final photo of all our new windows.  I'll put one up in the next couple of days.  One of these drywallers should be here in the morning to start upstairs.  If they're willing to negotiate a bit, they'll also prime and paint this week too!

1 comment:

PCS Auxiliary said...

Love the blog bro. I hope you and Katie have a very Merry Christmas, stay warm and I'll see you soon! Love you bunches, your fabulous sister sarah

Followers