Thursday, February 25, 2010

Am I nuts, or is the rest of the world?

Wiz, please don't answer that question...  Most of you know I'm about to be a dad in June.  My first foray into a "USA Baby" store almost resulted in my needing an ambulance.  Who the heck buys cribs that cost $2-3000+ dollars?  What the heck does an infant care?  Oh.....  wait..... it's a "bed for life" that converts to a designer twin-sized bed as my kid grows.....?  I still wouldn't spend that kind of $ on my snot-nosed child.
My current favorite is Crib For Life, "we are your source for baby's dream".  I'm pretty sure my baby's dreams will be filled with boobs, milk, and a healthy duke in his diaper, not on designer furniture.  I'm sure glad the fine folks at Crib for Life understand that "buying your child's nursery furniture is one of the most important decisions you will ever make".  Am I nuts?

This leads me to baby strollers.  It's ironic that I won't spend the bucks on furniture, but I will likely shell out the bucks so I don't end up with a stroller that looks like this.
I don't want to feel like I'm a walking tupperware party.  That thing is like a gigantic plastic aircraft carrier.  I'm guessing Russia occassionally tracks the movement of strollers like this they're so huge.  That is until they realize it's not nuclear, but rather toting some other kind of hazardous materials...  My family swears that's built for one child.  I'm pretty sure it's the "Warren Jeffs" model, able to hold an entire FLDS clan.


No, I'm currently hunting for a bargain on a stroller with more metal, and less material overall like this.
Or like this.

Wish me luck!

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

HA HA! Well I thought the irony in that is that the stroller will get less use than the crib - but believe me, I am not a proponent of the bed for life - how ridiculous! Anyway, buy the stroller you want, but try not to have a coronary in the process - we all love you too much to lose you this young :)

Jason Addink said...

I told you to go to BuyBuy Baby while you were here. Try returnsforsale.com or just keep checking CL and ebay once you know what you want. I just landed my "dream" stroller, a double Valco trimode. Ohh la la! You and I can share a stroller passion! Welcome to the club!
Paige

This is the life said...

LOL! You are such a man...

ahijon said...

Yes, yes I am a man. Thank you.

Sarah said...

Nobody thinks you're crazy. I think a lot of that stuff for babies is a bit riduculous, but some of it you actually need. I'm confident that you and Katie will figure out what you need and what you don't. I agree with Wizzy, just don't stroke out over it, it's just a stroller. Love you buddy:)

Jason Addink said...

And I missed this phenomenal rant how, exactly? My wife must have read it in my Google reader and neglected to tell me.

Oddly enough, we got our crib at USA Baby. Pretty sure it was the cheapest one in the place though, and not even close to $2k. It's lasted through 4 kids though, so the sturdiness has been worth it.

And strollers? Paige has gone through a collection of them, including the Warren Jeff's 3 spot jogger model. I think we are down to a total of three strollers in our garage now.

Jason Addink said...

And to answer the post title... both. :)

Followers