Monday, August 9, 2010

Ever hear of a partial power outage?

We came home last Wednesday night to find half our house without power.  I went downstairs with my circuit tester and found only one of two legs hot... (each leg supplies 120 volts, & together 240 volts).  I've never heard of this happening, but when I called the power company they said it "happens all the time".  Apparently if the insulation gets nicked on underground cables and water gets in, the aluminum cables corrode and eventually fail in that spot.  A power guy showed up Wednesday night about midnight and "jumped" the legs so the whole house had 120 volts which is all you need to turn on lights, but the AC doesn't work without both legs (and 240 volt service).  "Don't worry" he says, someone will be out tomorrow, and if not then Friday.  I didn't figure anyone would show up Thursday other than to "blue stake", but when I came home Friday to an almost 90 degree home, I called the power company again.  I simply called to follow up and get an update.  The unfortunate kid who took my call got an earfull when he reported that the ticket was closed and everything was certainly repaired.  When he wouldn't listen that I was testing the breaker panel and could verify it wan't repaired, I popped a can of Dutch Poppa-Bear whoop-ass on him.  Repairmen showed up that night. 
They're able to detect the location of the break with this gadget.  My buddy Jason probably designed it in his sleep on night.  I love being friends with one of the smartest guys on the planet.  If you don't know him, check out his blog.
I lucked out - the break was in the corner of my yard and they didn't have to dig up my lawn or cut down another tree.
Hey Chris, the pros work with live power just like me!  Except, the live cables they're messing with will turn you into a Post Toastee...
There it is, oxidized all the way through.
They just clean up the ends, strip a little insulation, clamp together and shrink wrap.  Phew, we were finally able to sleep again that night!

2 comments:

ahijon said...

From my mother-in-law:About live wires, having just perused your blog, I think that's a great plan for every guy. Just because the pros do it we should all do it.

Chris Edwards RN/BSN

Jason Addink said...

It's just a little 110 AC. I'm sure that would just smart a little, no permanant damage!

Followers