Wednesday, October 20, 2010

"Handouts"

I've been meaning to post this for a while. Several weeks ago I walked over to McDonald's for lunch by myself - just needed to get away from work for a minute. While I was eating my delicious quarter pounder, a homeless guy approached me and asked for some change so he could buy some food. I gave him my usual "sorry buddy, I don't carry any cash", which is true, I only use plastic money for the convenience. I don't ever give out cash. Having worked in the hotel/restaurant business for a while, I guess I've always felt like these guys should go get a job washing dishes or bussing tables. Besides, we've always tithed faithfully, plus given to Phoenix Christian School, World Venture, and many missionary friends/family. He can go to the soup kitchen if he's hungry.

My wife has challenged me in this area for a little while - so while I sat there enjoying my scrumptious hamburger, it struck me - in 33 years of life, I don't think I've ever missed a meal. In fact, judging by my slowly expanding waist, I basically eat whatever I feel like for every meal. Do I deserve such incredible blessing? Having been so loved by God as to never go hungry, why wouldn't I want to share that love with anyone who needed it, much more to someone who had the courage or desperation to ask for it?

I caught the guy before he left, and used my plastic money to buy him a meal. I don't know if he even needed it (I know a wealthy guy who walks around looking homeless, enjoying the occassional freebie...), but that's not the point. My cup overflows to the point of obscenity - why not share as often as I can? What do you think - do you share cash, buy meals, or do nothing?

2 comments:

Jason Addink said...

Those darn wives... ;)

I've never given cash, except once to a restaurant waitress who was massively pregnant and visibly emotional. Not sure what was going on in her life, but she got a huge tip from a table she wasn't even serving. :)

Oddly enough, I just was approached by a guy in the Lowe's parking lot asking for change to buy antifreeze. He helped me load my winter grass topper, and I bought him a bottle of anti-freeze. Saw him pouring it in his car, so he must have actually needed it.

Paige has bought guys food before. Don't think I ever have. Just so hard to tell if the guy on the corner with the sign is really just down on his luck, completely lazy, or a con man.

But like you say... maybe that's not the point.

This is the life said...

Buy them a meal.

A long time ago I went with another co-worker of ours to Wendys for lunch where we observed an older couple with their grand kids. They were here for General conference for the LDS church and had spent what they could to bring the grand kids with them. They were counting change to get lunch for the family off the dollar menu. I sat there and watched for a while and when we went to leave they were in line to order. I had them order whatever they wanted for the family and paid. The Grandmother had tears in her eyes. One of the best moments of my life.

-Cynthia

Followers