Monday, March 14, 2011

March Madness

Grandma Chris brough a basket of stuff over last week, and Tommy loves it.  If we steady it he can pull himself up in it.  He also likes it when I pull it over our heads and he can peek out the holes.
Oh, and he likes to taste it too.
Our cute puppy Mario who is 12.5 years old.  He's slowly losing his sight, hearing, and a few teeth, but is forever young at heart.
As usual, we're keeping every hour of the day busy with projects.  Katie bought some really cool antique knobs for our buffet.


Katie reupholstered our dining room chair cushions with some fun, bright fabrics.  She found old markings under the seats.  They were made by Tell City Chairs in Indiana, which is still in business today.  She contacted them and found our model chairs were manufactured 1940-1962.
I got the fun job of breaking them down, and gluing them back up.  After at least 50 years of use, I think there was one solid joint out of the 4 total chairs.  After taking them apart, I'm pretty sure they're solid mahogany.  I have to give This Old House Magazine props.  They recommended using polyeurethane glue on furniture because it expands and fills loose joints (and is very strong), which worked like a champ.

All done.  They go with the old drop-leaf table in the back left corner, which will become a game table in the basement at some point.  I didn't refinish the chairs because I'm lazy and hate stripping/refinishing.  Good thing they still look pretty good.

This was the old chair cushion.

I also sanded and finished our farm table benches.  They turned out pretty good, even though they're clearly not quarter-sawn oak like the table.




I found out this week that our city will have a curbside green waste pickup in April.  This means I can cut down my dead poplar, and won't have to haul it to the dump or rent a dumpster.  Stay tuned for updates involving 60+ foot articulated boom lifts and chainsaws!

No comments:

Followers