Saturday, March 26, 2011

Timber!

Most bids to remove this tree were about $2000.  I decided to rent a boom for $350 and do it myself.  Pat gave me his old chainsaw, which cut like the devil after I tuned it up and got a new chain.  Fortunate for me too, my neighbor heats his house with wood and was happy to help for a bunch of free timber.  I might have just cut & dropped this tree in the backyard, but it's way too close to the houses.  With the lift I was able to get near the top of the tree & cut small sections which could be felled carefully into a tiny patch of yard.  The boom extends 60 feet, at which length it really sways & bounces.  I was a little unnerved at the very peak.
There aren't any close-ups, but I want my mom to know I was in full safety gear:  long sleeve heavy shirt, gloves, goggles, ear protection, and a hard-hat.

Tommy wished he could help - a few more years buddy.

My neighbor's been thinking about taking out their big pine tree, so when we finished my tree we cut his down too.  I didn't have the camera with me, so I'll post a couple pictures tomorrow. 

3 comments:

Jason Addink said...

So jealous. That looks like fun.

And I am surprised you didn't take Tom up there to survery his kingdom at least once.

Unknown said...

You are CRAZY! Guess you did save some money though. :)

Unknown said...

Cool tool. And speaking of cool tools, thanks for backing me up on the knee pads. I'll post another picture of "Heather's Treasures" when they are sitting out on the curb.

Followers