Sunday, March 27, 2011

This one's for the ladies

Men & Women are very different.  All the guys who follow my blog were satisfied with yesterday's post.  I rented a cool piece of machinery & used a chainsaw.  The ladies?  Why did you cut that tree down?  What did you do with all the wood (timber)?  I want to see pictures of the stump.  etc. etc.  Details - sheesh!

The "tree" was actually 5 trunks growing out of one base.  3 of the trunks had died 1-3 years ago, and the base was starting to rot/get eaten by termites.  One of the trunks fell onto my house but was too small to damage anything.  If the other trunks had fallen, they would have destroyed anything they landed on.  I removed the rest of the tree to preserve my house, and my neighbor's.

I'll cut the stump down some more this week & burn it slowly with charcoal.  Pat actually taught me this old-timer's technique and it works quite well.  Of course, the first time I tried it at this house, I thought it would work better to dump all 40 pounds of charcoal out at once and fan it with a leaf blower.  It really has to be low and slow to work, but I did manage to smoke his neighbor out of their house...

The city is running a green-waste program in April.  The only rule is "one dump-truck load per household".  Not being certain how big their dump-truck is, I split the lumber into 2 piles.
We split my neighbor's tree into 3 piles.  Besides being a little messy (needles & cones), I have no idea why we cut it down...
Mario - the handy scale-guage.  I count 33 rings at the base.


1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Are there supposed to be pictures?

Followers