Sunday, January 24, 2010

Kobe Beef Short Ribs and Little Boys

Katie and I found out that we're having a son!  Katie is in absolute shock as she was certain we were having a little girl.  I however don't have a clue what's coming, and am therefore feeling just fine.  I was so excited that I emailed all our immediate family from the exam room as soon as I knew.  Apparently emailing is not an acceptable method of informing family about this kind of news...  It made sense to me though - I wanted to tell everyone right away, but had to return to work immediately following our appointment, and basically worked 7am to 11pm daily, until this morning.  There will now be 3 little boys in our Utah family with Wiz & Brandon's new baby and of course my buddy Patrick.

I've continued to be way very busy with work.  We had a fam-trip at the hotel last Thursday through Sunday morning.  This is where we invite qualified meeting and event planners from our markets to come visit our hotel.  We fly them and a guest out, wine & dine them, take them skiing, give them tours of our hotels, tour them around the city, party at the Sundance Film Festival, etc.  It sounds like fun (and elements really are), but it's certainly work being "on" all the time.  I think the best part of this last weekend were the 10-hour braised Kobe beef shortribs prepared at the Grand America Hotel.  They were paired with a Turnbull cabernet from Napa, which is a terrific bottle of wine.

We elected a new pastor last week, and this morning he preached at Grace Baptist.  Apparently I screwed up the link on our church website so you can't listen to his sermon just yet, but it was a good, solid, biblically-based sermon on unity, that our church body really needed.  He's going to be great, and seems to be just what our church needed.  He, and the congregation have much work to do - please be praying for God's Kingdom and mission here in Bountiful, Utah.

2 comments:

Jason Addink said...

It's 2010. Email seems perfectly acceptable to me. ;)

Congrats guys. While I would have enjoyed watching your daughter wrap you around her little finger, a son getting into all kinds of mischief will be just as, ummmm, interesting.

Read Dobson's Bringing Up Boys. Paige did before Levi and Noah were born. She read just the introduction and was horrified, and said that he surely must be exaggerating. I read the intro and laughed the whole time. Pretty much described our childhood perfectly. So you do have a clue what is coming... just recall what you were like as a kid.

So yeah... good luck! ;)

shelleystirs said...

Boys are so fun! Soon your house will be full of Legos and Geo Trax. As for reading, I recommend Wild Things: the art of nurturing boys. As with any parenting book, I don't agree with everything in it, but I found some of it helpful.

Followers