Monday, March 22, 2010

Home stretch?

I was in Denver last week for work - I made sales calls Mon/Tues, and was at a tradeshow all day Wed.  I made it home at midnight Wed night, and proceeded to work 13+ hours on Thursday, and 12 hours on Friday to try and catch up.  At this point all the burning issues have been addressed, but there's still a mountain sitting on my desk.  Oh well, I know it will be there in the morning.  I did manage to take the weekend off, and I turned our front lawn into my paint-shop for the day. 
I have a small airless sprayer that makes "short" work of stuff like this.  What's pictured is about half the door casings, and my handy setup for painting doors.

It took all day to prime, sand, and paint everything.  Katie addressed all the doors by sanding out all the paint runs and dents/scratches from the previous owner.  We ended the day by nailing up all the door casing.



Our shower walls and door were installed this week to finish the shower in our master bath - it turned out great!
I also hung the wall sconces above each sink, but ran out of light bulbs...

I installed the ceiling fan that Katie picked out.  It has a remote, tre' nice.

New hinges and door handles were installed, and the doors are ready to go back in after the door jambs are touched up.

My first-ever pocket door is installed (thanks for the help Pat!) and works nicely, though it's not flawless.  You'd think a pocket door was fairly straight forward, but there's a lot involved.

The 2nd bath has been painted (wainscotting will cover the lower part of the wall).  I'm a little nervous about the color, but history has proved my wife has an amazing gift and I know this bath is going to be fabu.

This is the 9X11 foot wool rug that Katie found at RC Willey on sale - originally $100 off.  I went to go check it out and found the floor model was the last one left, but it had a small tear.  To make a long story short, I got an additional $200 off the sale price.
I stopped at Lowes today and picked up some hot-melt seam tape for $5, and fired up the oven while Katie wasn't looking.
I used a cast-iron pan to pre-heat the tear spot, and to keep the hot-melt liquid while I made sure the tear was perfect from the top side.
It needs to be vacuumed, but the tear is on that little red flower.  I neglected to take a "before shot", oops.  You can't tell it's been damaged!

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Love it! It all looks so great, I can't wait until it's all finished and my amazing new nephew will be sleeping in his own nursery!

Jason Addink said...

Did you just use "fabu" in a post?

Sarah said...

And "tres"? I love, love, love it! Can't wait to come out and see it! Maybe I'll be inspired by Katie's wonderful gift of home decorating to finish off our house!

PatEUtah said...

Jason,
I'm trying to toughen him up but he still occasionally comes up with words like "fabu." But with enough time and patience I think there's hope for change. Pat

Jason Addink said...

Hope and Change! Just what he needs! :)

Followers