Saturday, May 1, 2010

Let's make some sawdust - installment #20

Besides getting clothes ready, my wife and mom suggested I finish the nursery before Tommy arrives.  I spent the week measuring and planning a material and cut-list for the nursery wainscotting.  I employed a spreadsheet to help with calculations - you want the stiles to end perfectly at all the corners.  There are 11 wall segments in his room.  The photo below is not our home, but is approximately what his room will look like.
The stiles started as 6 - 17 foot lengths of 1X6 MDF, which required 24 cross-cuts for the first step.
After 24 rip-cuts, I ended up with 48 blanks for the stiles.
96 cuts with my stacked-dado cutter to make the vertical rabbets.
96 more passes through the dado finished the tenons in the stiles.
I stopped to empty the dust-collector and filled this bin twice.  MDF is nice to work with, and cheap, but it makes crummy sawdust - really fine powder as compared to shavings from real wood.
I begged Pat to come over help me with the base and top rails.
The bases are 17 foot lengths of 1X8 MDF, and the top rails are 1X4's.  With care, and Pat's help they all received their own rabbets.
Hopefully you can see how the tenon will "clip" into the rabbet on the base.  The fields of the wainscotting will then "clip" into the all the rabbets in the base, stiles, and top rail.
Carefully measured dados give me really nice flush joints that should stay tight over the life of the house!
There's only 4 outside corners so I glued up 90 degree stiles - they're wet from wiping off excess glue with a wet sponge.  Yes, I used a special sponge, not the one I found in the sink...  You can see our lovely home-made kitchen cabinets from 1981.  Next time you see those they'll be bashed to pieces in a dumpster.  I managed to carefully sand everything today - next step is to cut the base/top rails to length and cut all the panels.  By next weekend we'll be priming and painting, and installing the week after that!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Looks good bro!

Jason Addink said...

I like how you always sneak pictures of your father-in-law into your posts. For whatever reason, the scene in my head is always him saying "Bakker, I'll come over and help but no pictures of me on the blog!" Followed by you jumping out of a bush as he pulls into the driveway to snag the elusive photo. Or getting him mid bite in a sandwich, or hidden in a car trunk in his camo coveralls.

That's probably not how it really goes... but it is in my head. :)

Followers